Saturday, December 18, 2010

2 Corinthians 2

When I came...to preach the Good News of Christ, the Lord opened a door of opportunity for me.  But I had no peace of mind because my dear brother Titus hadn’t yet arrived with a report from you. So I said good-bye and went on...to find him.

A wide-open door for the spread of the Gospel, and Paul couldn't concentrate on the opportunity because he was concerned about the Corinthian family.  Sin had occurred in their camp, Paul gave direction on how to handle it, and he is so affected by the outcome that he seems to bail on a crusade situation.  Sin doesn't just matter to the one who does it.  Sin impacts everyone; even those who have no idea who you are.  

The sin-choice in the Corinthian church was still bearing sin-fruit (cost) this much later and to people from another city that had nothing to do with that situation.  Who missed out because of one man's act?  

~ Jesus, I am so grateful that You paid for my sin; but what an unimaginable price you paid. Thank You so much.  Holy Spirit of God, help me to realize just how serious sin is, MY sin is -  how significant purity and holiness are.   To comprehend that a single act of my defiance, passion or uncontrolled emotion could adversely affect any one else is unsettling.  Let me be disturbed. Grieved. Moved enough to seek the high road of holiness.  Let me default to Your protocol; because You are Right and True and Worthy of my obedience...especially when I don't think it matters.

Paul was also so very compassionate about the group of believers in Corinth that he held them accountable to the very obedience he charged them with.  He didn't call them out and move on; he showed them the Truth, showed them the excellent way, gave specific instructions and gave them time to comply.  He followed up with forgiveness-oriented words, for God's trajectory is for unity.  Paul was so overwhelmed with a burden for their well-being that he walked away from a seemingly prime situation in order to know about them.  What a picture of devotion.  He could have been cultivating new disciples in Troas; but he was not done with nor had he forgotten the disciples in Corinth.  What a loving, patient, responsible and nurturing act to see them through the whole thing.  

Lord, help me to be that concerned for the Body; to not have my "say" and move on. Rather, to call a thing by name (the name You call it), show Your Truth, and be available for the accountability of the follow-up.  You didn't cut bait with me; You died for me.  Let me be as willing to put my life out there for another.  Thank You, too, for those whom You have empowered to speak into my life and to call me to "spiral-up" in sanctification.


No comments:

Post a Comment