Wednesday, December 15, 2010

1 Corinthians 13


The Excellence of Love 

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge ; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. 

I am a noisy, clanging gong, I am nothing, I am without profit if what I do is done without love.  I submit that it must not be self-love.  No matter how good or kind or thoughtful my gift  or word is, nor how pleasing and generous it is...without love, it matters not, it is counts not and I am annoying by doing it.  

I am reading the chapter of love on the day that I go to a funeral of a friend.  She died unexpectedly and without symptom of illness one night.  She kissed her husband goodnight and awoke to the Master's caress.  That is amazing for her; but in the wake of her absence...what can I say or do for her family?  The challenge is how to wear the love.  I don't wish to be a noisy cymbal in life and certainly not at a funeral.  

I am certain that as we gather to honor her, it will be her love that is remembered ... her service and devotion to others, all done from her love for God and her love for others.  And, truly, is that not what we wish for... to be known for our love.  

So the questions I am asking myself are:  What does my life show that I love?  
What do I love?  How do I love? And do I live out the rest of the description of love as I live? 

No comments:

Post a Comment