Wednesday, December 15, 2010

1 Corinthians 3

Paul concluded the previous chapter with the statement that we have the mind of Christ (the Messiah) and do hold the thoughts (feelings and purposes) of His heart. Paul  now charges the believers with not having grown up in Christ, as being  too immature to understand spiritual teachings.  Later in this chapter he says,  "Do you not discern and understand that you [the whole church at Corinth] are God's temple (His sanctuary), and that God's Spirit has His permanent dwelling in you [to be at home in you, collectively as a church and also individually]?"
It appears that there was a major disconnect between their salvation and their sanctification.  The believers were content to be saved; but not inclined to devote themselves to growth nor to receive the truth and operate as the holy dwelling of God-Spirit. Consider again the opening of 1 Corinthians 1: 
    2To the church (assembly) of God which is in Corinth, to those consecrated and purified and made holy in Christ Jesus, [who are] selected and called to be saints (God's people), together with all those who in any place (this is us!) call upon and give honor to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours:
    3Grace (favor and spiritual blessing) be to you and [heart] peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
    4I thank my God at all times for you because of the grace (the favor and spiritual blessing) of God which was bestowed on you in Christ Jesus,    5[So] that in Him in every respect you were enriched, in full power and readiness of speech [to speak of your faith] and complete knowledge and illumination [to give you full insight into its meaning].

It's as if Paul is reminding them of what they should have already known and been living.  Somewhere, they weren't understanding nor discerning their significance in the Kingdom. It seems they were pleased to sign up in the recruiter's office; but did not wish to show up for Basic Training.  My consideration is where am I resting more in my Savior and less in my Lord? What areas of my spiritual life are being eclipsed by the mediocre and generic impulses?   Where am I ignoring the grace and enriching Christ has supplied me?
They were described as ordinary, unchanged men and under the control of ordinary impulses.  This gives me pause to contemplate on the origins of my impulses?  Are they just standard or are they supernatural? What change will I make to grow in supernatural inclinations and let the mundane grow dim (I loved David's picture from earlier)?

One waters after another plants; all the while God makes it grow, makes it greater and gives the increase.  Father God is the One who prepares the soil, supplies the seeds and the water and gives life to the plant.  He brings the increase.  I am to be a faithful planter and waterer.  My job requires that I have water to spare and seeds to sow. How am I trusting in God to bring the increase?  Am I faithful in the sowing and watering? Do I stay strongly connected to the Source of Living Water and the Seed-Giver so I am in constant and ready supply?  When am I sowing and watering?

Lord, my prayer is that You cause me to grow up in Jesus.  Please keep me from being hung-up on the ordinary aspects of life and help me to delight in the supernatural life You have provided for me.  Bend me according to Your glorious specifications for Your glorious Name's sake.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tami, my name is John. I read a lot of blogs on religion and prayer and I've i feel like I've ended up here once before. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this prayer exchange website PrayerMarket.com I thought it was an interesting idea and would be curious to hear what you (or other Christians) think about it

    I'll check back here in the next day or two, thanks & God bless
    John W.

    ReplyDelete