Wednesday, December 15, 2010

1 Corinthians 7

Marriage is the title of this chapter and for some twisted reason, my mind went straight to the marriage ceremony in The Princess Bride.

Maa-wiage, maa-wiage is whut bwings us togever toooday.... 

Sorry.  I enjoyed it.

So, in the middle of all of Paul's marriage-speak, he states that we should not be enslaved by the world as God has paid a very high price for us.  Further, he admonishes us that "Those who use the things of the world should not become attached to them." ,  " I want you to be free from the concerns of this life.", and" I want you to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best, with as few distractions as possible."  He also states that some of the marital/not marital instruction is not a command from the Lord; but rather his advice, albeit from God's Spirit... 

Now, regarding marriage, well, that song has already been sung in my life (and it is a good song =+}  ); but I am challenged in my life generally (and still, quite specifically) to not become enslaved by the world as I am a bond-servant of Christ.  I am to resist the pull of the world and to be vigilant with regard to the distractions in my life...(I'm in trouble, look a butterfly...).  A simple life allows me to be a better servant of God, daughter of the King, wife to my hus-man, mother to precious children, and etc.

Paul, also, models godly advising here. "But the Lord in his mercy has given me wisdom that can be trusted, and I will share it with you."  Where he has obviously had a great deal of thought on this subject, he is living out what he recommends (with regard to singleness) and he is addressing folks in a particular situation, " Because of the present crisis, I think...".

The questions that now hound me are:

To what in this soon-dissolving world am I attached?
What cooperation am I giving to another master?
Why am I complicating my life with stuff and nonsense and trivia?
Am I willing to seek godly counsel?  Am I willing to submit to godly advice when it rings true with God's word, despite my self-satisfying tendencies?
How am I preparing my lifestyle and disciplines to endure a "present crisis"?
Do I keep in touch with those godly and wise people in my life that they may be informed and free to speak to me when and where I need?

Oh, Gracious Lord Who has paid such a high price for my pitiful self, give me eyes to see where I am playing Gomer with another master.  Refine my appetites that I may be addicted only to You and making You famous in my life.  Let my pride-ish ways yield to humility, receptivity and accountability when wisdom is given me by a godly counselor (husband, pastor, teacher, friend, child or even a donkey ~as Your wisdom is not limited by the vessel).  Give me creativity and strength to use my rebellion to fight off the allure of this present world.  You alone are worthy of worship, obedience and praise.  I need You to make that as an immovable filter in my lifestyle.  May You be magnified in my generation though my mouth, life and priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment