Monday, September 26, 2011

When God's Spirit Moves; Day Two: Exodus 31:1-11, Numbers 11:1-30

Then the LORD said to Moses, “See, I have chosen Bezalel ben Uri, ben Hur, of  Judah,  and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills ....  Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab ben Ahisamak, of Dan, to help him.  

The LORD chooses those He wants filled with His Holy Spirit.  He fills them with purpose, His purpose in mind.  The filling is not for filling-sake; but for a specific work, ministry, service for the LORD.   LORD, please fill me as full as possible with Your Holy Spirit, then increase my capacity.  I welcome Your purpose and vision into my heart, my mind, strength and my passion.

Bezalel and Oholiab may or may not have been known men, with or without a pedigree; but they are eternally linked with having the Spirit of God filling them to glorify the LORD.  What a reputation God gave them.  May I steward well Your gifts to me, without doubt and with grace.  May You be praised in my generation.

The LORD tells Moses to "See" what He had done - either the filling or the consequences of the filling is evident to others.  Holy Spirit, may I wear well and faithfully the fullness of Your Holiness.

Then the LORD came down in the cloud and spoke with him, and he took some of the power of the Spirit that was on him and put it on the seventy elders. When the Spirit rested on them, they prophesied—but did not do so again.  

This seems so sad to me.  They had a taste and did not taste again.  Lord, I know, better is one day in Your court than a thousand elsewhere.  I praise You for how You choose to gift Your prophetic words.  I trust You in Your wisdom.  I thank You that You choose anyone, that You would share Yourself with us.  I am also grateful that You are perpetually with and in us rather than just on us.   Help me to not take Your presence for granted nor to become so accustomed to Your divine-ness in my life that I ignore You.  And Lord, if it please You, may I prophesy to the praise of Your very great Name and the edification of Your Kingdom.
But Moses replied, “Are you jealous for my sake? I wish that all the LORD’s people were prophets and that the LORD would put his Spirit on them!” 

Paul agrees with Moses as he says to earnestly desire the gift of prophesy.   Lord, may I?  I praise You Father for the godly perspective Moses displays in not wishing to hoard Your gift, Your relationship, Your responsibility.  May I model this, as well.  And please help me to pursue love as I seek to honor You in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment