Sunday, July 24, 2011

Genesis 47

I had never noticed that Joseph enslaved the Egyptians as a result of the famine.  No wonder they are jealous/insecure about the prosperous Israelites later on.  And the price of the grain was so steep - bags of silver.  And Israel was provided for by God through Joseph. 

What challenges me is Jacob, he enters and blesses Pharaoh then exits and blesses Pharaoh.  This reminds me of Genesis 27 where Isaac speaks the blessing on his son Jacob the Poser, "Now may God give you of the dew of heaven, And of the fatness of the earth, And an abundance of grain and new wine;  May peoples serve you, And nations bow down to you; Be master of your brothers, And may your mother's sons bow down to you (curious that these previous two particular phrases are spoken to him). Cursed be those who curse you, And blessed be those who bless you."

Jacob, in keeping with his personal blessing and the Genesis 12 God-promise, is a blessing.  He blesses the one that blessed him.  He blesses the one who allowed him to continue in the abundance of grain and new wine.  He was served and Egypt honored him.  Jacob, in coming and going, blesses.  Lord, I want to be a blesser, too.  Give me Your words to impart, eyes to see where You are working and people to bless.  Holy Spirit, please reveal to me where the God-promises are being kept in my life.  Let me celebrate You wherever You are stirring.

Even in this new place, Jake's family is set apart, helping them to remain distinct.  They could have done anything as an occupation; but they were shepherds.  An odious thing to people they did not live among nor were expecting to live among; but God made them shepherds because it was important later...  Lord, grant me heart and vision for the latter things for which I must participate in today.  Keep me hagios - regardless of prior use, totally set apart for Your use.

No comments:

Post a Comment