Friday, July 8, 2011

Genesis 32

And Jacob said, "O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, O LORD who said to me, 'Return to your country and to your kindred, that I may do you good,'  I am not worthy of the least of all the deeds of steadfast love and all the faithfulness that you have shown to your servant, for with only my staff I crossed this Jordan, and now I have become two camps. Please deliver me from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau, for I fear him, that he may come and attack me, the mothers with the children. But you said, 'I will surely do you good, and make your offspring as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.'"

Absolutely inspiring words by Jacob.  His first overtures to speak to his God, and he speaks in faith acknowledging his meager estate and unworthiness before God,  asking God to do what He had said and to deliver him.  Jacob takes his fear and his situation to God. 

The timing is interesting, in that only after Jake has so responded to God, he gets a new identity and walks in a new way.  He is not who he was ....  a cheater and a runner, fearful from the fallout of his dealings with others.  And he's not perfect confident and bold, either.  But he's personally engaging with God, obeying and starting to seek God's way.

Father, I recognize my utter unworthiness to have access to You; but I praise You for Your provision of grace which allows me You.  I bring my fear and my situation to You.  I seek Your divine plan for me; You have called me Your daughter, You allow me to serve You, please direct my steps, my heart and my response for Your glory's sake.  Holy Spirit, let my walk be distinctively different from the ways of my past, my conduct reflect Your essence and my life echo Your blueprint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment