Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Genesis 37

Then he (Joseph) dreamed another dream and told it to his brothers...

Joseph's brothers hated him for being loved more than any other child of their father.  Joseph had already shared one dream with his brothers and they hated him even more for that.  So he has another dream which is as bold as the first one and he pitches it out to them.  Does anyone anticipate this will end well?

Joe could not help any part of his placement in the family, nor could he change his father's affections - even if he had the maturity and wisdom to engage Jacob in conversation about it; but he could control what he said and to whom he spoke.

Throwing the second dream out to the brothers after the response he received from the first (and probably anything else he ever said to them, ref. Genesis 37:4) just seems like a bad idea to me.  I know, I know the rest of the story; but some of these (I am not certain if only two or all of them were complicit in the Dinah-defense - maybe even Joseph?) are the brothers who defended Dinah in that horrible fashion and one of them violated his step-mom.  With the actions and reactions that this family had in their history, why add fuel to the fire with this latest dream?  Why instigate what was smoldering already?  

This passage brought to mind Matthew 7:6, Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.  I know that poor Joseph did not have the New Testament available to him, but the common sense and integrity he shows later should have been whispering to him something at this age.


My challenge is to be careful and prayerful about sharing what God reveals to me that involves others.   Not that I ever wish to be careless with something from my Heavenly Father; but if something has potential to hurt, I want to steward that very well.  Think, pray, submit before I speak, post, text, email, comment, answer.  


Lord, help me to grow up in You that I may navigate Your trust as Your map says.  I don't want to hurt or cause harm, nor do I want to experience it; help me to love You and others well that I may serve You and others rightly.  Please help me to be an emissary of peace, Your peace, wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment