Saturday, July 2, 2011

Genesis 26

Genesis 20  Abraham said of Sarah his wife, "She is my sister." So Abimelech king of Gerar sent and took Sarah ... Then Abimelech called Abraham and said to him, "What have you done to us?  You have done to me things that ought not to be done."  Abraham said, "Because I thought, surely there is no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife. "

Genesis 26  So Isaac settled in Gerar. When the men of the place asked him about his wife, he said, "She is my sister," for he feared to say, "My wife," thinking, "lest the men of the place should kill me because of Rebekah,"  ... So Abimelech called Isaac and said, "Behold, she is your wife. How then could you say, 'She is my sister'?" Isaac said to him, "Because I thought, 'Lest I die because of her.'"

Abe had received a specific promise from the Lord regarding his and Sarah's essential importance in the biological line of Isaac before he journeyed to Gerar and lied.  He also had witnessed the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.  God's word, His promise, His power and Abe is inspired to lie.

Abe's deception was influenced by his belief that "there is no fear of God" in Gerar.  The challenging part was that the Gerar's king received words from God and he immediately acted on them, in faith.  

Years later, we see a similar deceit played out in the same kingdom.  Abe's son operates out of fear and dread after he receives those words of promise, blessing and posterity from the LORD God:  Sojourn in this land, and I will be with you and will bless you, for to you and to your offspring I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath that I swore to Abraham your father.

Why do the godless folk conduct themselves more honorably than those chosen by God?  How can we let fear, dread, pessimism have a greater influence on us than the Word of the Lord and our history with Him.

Lord God, help me to seriously and viably take You at Your Word.  Please help me  let You frame and filter all of my life, my children's lives and those in my circle of influence.  Keep me from walking in response to fear, planning with consideration of terror and expecting the influence of anxiety.  May I respond to You, plan according to Your direction and expect You.  May I be strong and courageous, true and honest, faithful and obedient to the praise of Your Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment