Friday, June 17, 2011

Job 42

I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
   but now my eye sees you;
therefore I despise myself,
   and repent in dust and ashes.

Job was a blameless man, one on whom the Lord could place a bet.  After Job endures the loss and "counsel" of his friends; he describes his initial relationship with God as having heard of God.  After the loss and God's answer to him, Job says he now sees God and that causes him to loathe himself and repent.

Job's circumstances had not been restored at this point.  He only had an answer from God - one where God greatly reveals Himself to Job.  Job's situation was the same except the Lord God reached out to Job and showed Himself to Job.   And for Job, that was sufficient to redirect his focus from his life to God.  He repents and despises himself.  

I have the entire Word of God, in many translations, the Holy Spirit keeping me in actual contact with the Holy God, and the assurance of salvation - yet, why do I not respond like Job?  Where is my repenting, my utter abandonment of myself when I consider my God?  How can I do anything but worship Him and lay myself aside when I consider Him?

Lord God, You are mighty and loving and worthy of all praise and worship.  I do repent of my careless approach to Your holy perfection.  Help me, Holy Spirit to never forget or be sidetracked away from Your glory, Your majesty, Your overwhelming presence.  Thank You for Job's story and his example to me.  What extreme grace You give; but no less than You paid.  Keep my eyes on You, my heart devoted to You and my mouth worthy of speaking of You.  Even in these things, I need You to do them.  Keep me constantly in pursuit of Your presence in my life, always hungering for Your Word and carefully obedient to Your plan.  May I bring You glory, for Your sake.

Thank You also for the lesson on the provision and significance of interceding for others.  Your wisdom is always perfect for everyone.  I worship You.

No comments:

Post a Comment