Thursday, June 30, 2011

Genesis 23

Genesis 15 ... Then the Lord told him, “I am the Lord who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land as your possession.”

Genesis 23 ... So Abraham bought the plot of land belonging to Ephron at Machpelah, near Mamre.

I don't know if Abe consulted the Lord about this purchase. I don't know the burial practices of former Ur-dwellers.  I don't know if Abe knew he could initiate conversation with the Lord.  I don't know a whole lot.

I do know that I shouldn't do an endrun around God's promise to me so I can make a situation more tolerable, less sad, more convenient ... even when I want to do that very thing.  I can count on God to fulfill His promise, His vow, His Word to me and to give me the reserve and temerity to wait on His work to be completed.

Father, I long to walk in the audaciousness of obedience. Grant me eyes to see Your pleasure, Your perfect will, Your plan for me and the chutzpah to embrace and revel in that divine desire.  Keep me content, Holy Spirit, in areas where I will be tempted to buy some land to bury some bones so I won't have to look upon them.  Keep me close to You when I am grieving and weeping, lest I try to amend Your covenant with me.  Holy Spirit, protect me when my emotions show themselves to be more influential in my life than they were designed to be.  Be my Filter, my Frame, my Reference Point and my Firm Foundation for all of life and thought, Lord Jesus.  Let me not grow weary of well-doing, to the praise of Your very great Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment