Saturday, June 25, 2011

Genesis 19 - A "Lot" of Trouble

But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house.  And they called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may know them." 

How young was young?  

Those sons-in-law who were to marry the daughters of Lot were in this group. 

Lot went out to the men at the entrance, shut the door after him, and said, "I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly.  Behold, I have two daughters ... and do to them as you please."

Seriously?  Were females so incredibly disposable back then?  Was this some paganized form of eastern hospitality and/or did Lot value his daughters so little that he would offer them as hors d'oeuvres to wickedness?  When would that mindset have taken hold?  Abraham longed for offspring and Lot would throw his out?  If Lot recognized these holy visitors for who they were, would he have thought that this was a holy-pleasing solution? 

But the men reached out their hands and brought Lot into the house with them and shut the door. And they struck with blindness the men who were at the entrance of the house, both small and great, so that they wore themselves out groping for the door.

Blindness, frustration, exhaustion, inability to satisfy the desire and a bit of stupidity, too, if they could not find the door when they were at the entrance of the house.  A physical representation of the spiritual situation.

And as they brought them out, one said, "Escape for your life. Do not look back or stop anywhere in the valley. Escape to the hills, lest you be swept away." And Lot said to them, "Oh, no, my lords ...Let me escape there (to Zoar)." 

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!  
 
Now Lot went up out of Zoar and lived in the hills with his two daughters, for he was afraid to live in Zoar.

Afraid, after all he had been through.  What could man do after what he had witnessed and survived?  Was he singled out, saved and sheltered only to be put in danger?  Why didn't Lot try Uncle Abe? 

 Lord God, I thank You for your gift of salvation and for the times You save me - especially from myself.  Father, I know I have been a Lot with Your provision and I praise You that You didn't chuck me out the door to wickedness for my repeated offenses.  Please help me to rightly esteem those You have put me in relationship with.  Let me not "know" the world, let me not sacrifice another to the world's appetites, let me value what You value and shun that which displeases You.

Holy Spirit, please stir in me an all-consuming appetite for holiness.  Let my choices be for You, Your fame, Your glory and never for compromise with flesh, the world or the enemy.  Please make plain to me the stupid stuff I am tempted to do and strengthen me to resist, rebuke and rebel against such.
 
Lord Jesus, please help me to say, "Your will be done," rather than, "Oh, no, my Lord."  Please help me to embrace the path You provide and to obey carefully when given instructions, particularly exit instructions.  May I live in gratitude, in love, in confidence, in right response to You and not in fear and unbelief. Thank You for saving me, time and again.  Please help me to ask You for help, wisdom, provision and whatever else I need when I am faced with a dilemma.  Let me not make my own arrangements and live away from Your supply ... in the hills ... in shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment