Saturday, June 4, 2011

Job 29

Oh, that I were as in the months of old, as in the days when God watched over me, when his lamp shone upon my head, and (when) by his light I walked through darkness, as I was in my prime, when the friendship of God was upon my tent, when the Almighty was yet with me, when my children were all around me, when my steps were washed with butter, and (when) the rock poured out for me streams of oil!...When...when...when...when.

I need to be careful not too dwell on the glory of the days "when ... ."  I can't look so long or longingly at what used to be that I am not engaged in what is.  My faithful Father God never leaves me nor forsakes me; therefore, He is right now and so I must be.   

Lord, I thank You for Your ever-living, ever-loving, ever-lasting presence with me; even when I don't feel You here, I know You are.  I praise You for Your relentless presence in my life, help me to remember the wisdom from the sacred steps You have given me.  Yet, I need You to keep me from living in the "looking back at the good ol' days" and missing what is right before me with You. 

Please increase my capacity to comprehend Your provision for me, my sensitivity to Your light for my path and my steadiness in walking out that which You have invited me to experience.  Remind me that my prime is with You and not in days past nor days ahead - only in Your presence.  I am so grateful that You have made a relationship with You possible for me and that You have brought me to You.  I don't know that I will ever be counted as Your friend; but I pray that I should be found faithful as Your servant and honoring as Your daughter.  

God, I know that when my steps are not smoothly set before me and provision seems to have dried up, I am tempted to think back on the times when life seemed easier and want to hang out there;  but You are still God, my God.  You are still faithful, You are still righteous, You are still good.  

Grant me passion for the now with You rather than the emptiness of the past (no matter how good it was!) and the unfulfilled plans of the future.  Where You are, there I wish to be.  And I want to be fully engaged with You now, not put it off nor think how it used to be. You Lord, not a memory; now, not when.  May I bring You glory now.

No comments:

Post a Comment