Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Genesis 22

God tested Abraham.

I will not always recognize a test from You, Heavenly Father.  Lord, that You would find me faithful in all times. 

So Abraham rose early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and his son Isaac. And he cut the wood for the burnt offering and arose and went to the place of which God had told him. 

Lord, increase my faith and my faithfulness - may I personally take care of the rather difficult details of my tests/life instead of delegating them to others.  Help me God, to rise early in the morning, to properly prepare myself for the journey You provide, let me cut my own wood for the sacrifice You require and go expediently to the place of which You speak.  Strengthen me in spirit and grace for the testings.

On the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes and saw the place from afar.

May I not grow weary, Lord, in the journey to the place You describe - physically or spiritually.  May I take the whole craggy path up to the mountain where You will meet me.  'On the third day' reminds me of the three day trip the Israelites were to take from Egypt to go and worship You.  Let me be willing to take the three day journeys to worship You and witness Your provision, Your glory, Your power.

Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to slaughter his son. 

Father God, I can't imagine what kind of impression this story, this event had on Isaac, his children and Jews throughout history.  To have seen You as Creator, Judge with the flood, Promise Maker, Promise Keeper, Righteous with Sodom & company; but to know You now as the One who demands the life of loved and only son - even though You repented of the requirement - and not know Your much loved and only Son and His sacrifice must be so very complicated for them.  Lord, then to have such persecution for no reason other than their bloodline, that almost seems like the same kind of thing.  Hope must be difficult to grasp.   Would You please help me understand Your chosen people better; increase my passion for their salvation and for the descendents of Ishmael, too.  Let me love them well.

Lord Jesus, Abe was addressed once by God and Isaac before the sacrifice.  He answered immediately.  At the time of the sacrifice, God called out to him twice.  May I follow Abe's and Your divine example in obedience that it would take my name being called twice by the Lord God Almighty to delay my task.  Lord, I thank You that You make Your ways clear. 

God, I want to love You more that even when You give severe mercy to me, I would not look at any other's lot in life and wonder.  Your plan is right, Your commands are perfect, Your mercies are best...and Your timing is impeccable.  May I go with what I know and not slide with the tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment