Friday, June 17, 2011

Job 41

Perhaps this thought hit me because I recently read Bryan Davis' series Dragons in Our Midst or I heard Kent Hovind speak on this subject years ago; but it sounds to me like a fire-breathing dragon is being described in this passage.  Just an observation.

He looks all mighty [beasts of prey] in the face [without terror]; he is monarch over all the sons of pride. [And now, Job, who are you who dares not arouse the unmastered crocodile, yet who dares resist Me, the beast's Creator, to My face? Everything under the heavens is Mine; therefore, who can have a claim against God?]

Who would dare to make a claim against the Supreme Creator of the Universe and the One who called the beastly leviathan into existence?  God asks Job about resisting God "to My face."

The continuing challenge for me is that Job has done nothing wrong, he is the one being bragged on by the Supreme Creator.  He has suffered tremendously and endured, in enigmatic Eastern fashion, the accusations and verbal assaults from his so-called friends.  And, God continues to single him out and show Job favor; severe favor, it seems.

God does not trouble Himself to correct the friends; but He is careful to speak to Job, His Job.  God raises Job's focus from the immediate to the eternal, from the plain of pain to the panorama of Majesty, from what is to Who is.  God loves Job perfectly and His compassion is displayed in His revelation of Himself.  God didn't "bless Job's heart" nor did He vindicate Job.  He soberly reminded Job of Who God is. 
This heavenly reminder encourages me in that Job had a great deal of need, he may have been close to falling completely apart; but God doesn't rush in and fix the situation or make Job feel better.  God reveals Himself.  He confirms Job's allegiance with His identity.  The One, to whom Job had dedicated himself, showed Himself to be exactly who Job understood Him to be and more.  
Where do I need to look again at the Majesty of God, to gaze upon the face of perfection and holiness so the surrounding details of this ethereal life may fade into the background?
How can I pursue the up-looking vision towards God and leave the mucking around in my mess behind?
Lord, restrain me, retrain me, re-frame me.  I forget, I get uncomfortable, impatient, distracted.  My focus falters and I dwell on where I dwell.  Let me not depart from Who You are, what You have done, how faithful You have been.  Father, thank You for Your unwavering love and grace which can't be manipulated.  Your Name is enough, Your fame is my goal, Your truth is true.   Let me not swerve from passionate devotion to You and Your Kingdom.  But I need You to give me the passion, the fortitude and the gumption to stay true to Your call.  Help me to be eternally fixated that I may bring You glory.  Help me to point others to Your glory and Who You are, as well.  Give me eyes to see any deception or lies I believe which result in a wrong focus and subsequently flawed response to You.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment