Thursday, June 2, 2011

Job 27

Here is the fate God allots to the wicked,
   the heritage a ruthless man receives from the Almighty:  
However many his children, their fate is the sword;
   his offspring will never have enough to eat.
The plague will bury those who survive him,
   and their widows will not weep for them.
Though he heaps up silver like dust
   and clothes like piles of clay,
what he lays up the righteous will wear,
   and the innocent will divide his silver.
The house he builds is like a moth’s cocoon,
   like a hut made by a watchman.
He lies down wealthy, but will do so no more;
   when he opens his eyes, all is gone.
Terrors overtake him like a flood;
   a tempest snatches him away in the night.
The east wind carries him off, and he is gone;
   it sweeps him out of his place.
It hurls itself against him without mercy
   as he flees headlong from its power.
It claps its hands in derision
   and hisses him out of his place.

Osama Bin Laden came to mind as I read these lines.  He does not prosper eternally and his legacy is dismal for his children.  

I think of Casey Anthony.  Her heir is gone from this world.

Then I think of me.  

My wickedness is no different than the charges laid to their names.  No, I haven't done what they have done; but they haven't done what I have done.  It's not a contest.  My actions are not roguishness; they are atrocities, depravities, vile heinousness against the only pure and perfect God.    Rebellion against the authority of the Sovereign King of the Universe.  

Father God, thank You for Your gift of salvation and for tendering my heart and mind that I could know You and receive Your grace.  Christ Jesus, I thank You that You paid for every bit of evil in my life - even knowing ahead of time all that I would commit.  I cannot ever repay or adequately respond to You for this sacrifice; I am grateful that You accepted me as Your Own.   May I be a faithful and loyal servant to the Most High God.  

I cry out to you for the families of Mr. Laden and Ms. Anthony.  I pray that they would each know You as their God, Christ as their Savior and the Holy Spirit as Your indwelling presence.  God, if You don't do this, it won't happen for them.  I plead mercy for these families.  I pray that they would rise up and be radical and public demonstrations of Your grace, love and justice.  And in their lives, You would be more famous than anything O.B. Laden or C. Anthony has ever done or dreamed of doing.  Praise You.

Proverbs 24.17a  Rejoice not when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles or is overthrown...

For there, but for the grace of God, go I...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment