Friday, May 13, 2011

Job 7

Part of every misery is, so to speak, the misery's shadow or reflection: the fact that you don't merely suffer but have to keep on thinking about the fact that you suffer. I not only live each endless day in grief, but live each day thinking about living each day in grief.   c.s.lewis

This is the part of what Job is facing that I can't escape.  Sure, I  can read this, knowing the story, mentally fast-forward through the intervening chapters and land at the "and they all lived happily ever after."  But that's not it.  Job and Mrs. Job still lost all of their children.  Job cannot console the mother of his children.  There are no replacements for the lost.  Sure, more children come; but this loss was not and cannot be mitigated.  I can never get his grief, his perspective; but consider putting my toe in the pool of his life for a minute and I can't breathe.  Inescapable death, pain, pus, more death, grieving spouse, no answer from God, physical ache, mental anguish, a solitude unknown.  Blindsided on every side and a few he didn't know he had.  C.S. Lewis also remarked that no one had ever told him "that grief felt so much like fear."  Consumed.  Drowned but still feeling.  Exhausted but not gone.  I can think; but I can't imagine. 

And this is the man whom God makes much of.  This is the way God makes much of this man.  This completely rocks my "love God, love people, it's all good" mentality.  There is cost.  Excruciating cost for following God.  But it is not any different for Him.  He paid the supreme and excruciating cost for me.  He planned it that way.  He has planned my way, as well. 

What is man, that You make so much of him,
   and that You set Your heart on him?

Oh, God, Your ways are not my ways.  Your heart is so much stronger than my own, Your knowledge is perfect, Your plan flawless - despite my lack of vision and understanding.  Give me Your perspective that I may live fully for You.  I am so moved by what You have done, what You would do to make much of your people.  God, let me make MUCH of You all my life.  Lord God, give me eyes to see and a strong heart to conduct the spiritual transactions You have appointed for me.  Help me, Lord, I need You.  I thank You that You have set Your heart on me; may my heart be fully set on You, everyday.  Keep me from that which would dilute the passion You allow me for You.  Please help me to bring You glory, whether I am covered in sores or sunshine, for You are worth it.  You are Worthy to be made much of.

No comments:

Post a Comment