Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Job 18

Bildad's words describe what happens to the wicked; but they are telling the story of Job, too.  His description concludes with all of the awful things listed as happening to "... one who does not know God."   The dichotomy is Job knew God, he honored God, he revered God.  God was pleased with Job and that's what began this story.  

Billy-Boy's words also seem to tell the story of what the enemy desired to have happen to Jesus, the One in Whom God was well-pleased.  Things didn't go well for Jesus, from the outsider's viewpoint.  Until that Sunday, Resurrection Sunday.

As I read and listened to these words, I was challenged with what God considers versus what man values.  1 Samuel 16:7:  But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Oh Lord, I so often look at the outside, the externals and make my decisions from there.  I am responsive to what happens, what it looks like and what it feels like - I do not frequently consider, much less linger in the heart-place of others.  Job is teaching me that Your favor can greatly resemble man-defined cursing and that I need to not react naturally to the events You allow me to experience.  Oh God, give me supernatural vision, spiritual acuity and a grace-oriented life to look at the heart of another.  Help me not to shrink back because of discomfort or pain experienced or caused by others; but to fully engage in the relationships You grant me.  Give me Your words, Your strength, Your passion for Your glory's sake.  Help me to be faithful in the life You have entrusted to me.  God, help me...and may I bring praise to Your name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment