Friday, May 27, 2011

Job 21

It seems Job and his friends are having an argument about how God deals with the wicked and framing this discussion is the fact that Job has lost everything and is a horror to himself.

Neither the friends nor Job can know precisely how God deals with the wicked as God's ways are not their ways (nor mine).  God dealt with Job, a man He was pleased to brag on, in a manner not unlike what you would reserve for the vilest enemy. 

Maybe this is a continuing part of the enemy's effort to win the bet with God, to manipulate Job into speaking ill of his Creator.  I don't know. 

As I let these words sit heavy on my heart, I keep thinking that no one is crying out to God for Job, no one is attempting to minister to his physical situation, no one has a clue what to do or say.  So they have a spitting-into-the-wind contest, provoking Job to argue about God's dealings with the wicked.  I don't get it.  

 Father God, I thank You for Your words and for Your Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omniscience.  I thank You that I don't get this, as Your ways are not my ways and Your wisdom is not based on my thoughts.  Please give me understanding and teach me Your ways that I may know You and continue to find favor with You.   I praise You that You know Job so well and had such confidence in him.   What a trust.  Lord, help me to continue to grow in understanding that You are God and You are trustworthy in what You do - even when it is difficult and I don't know how to think about it.  Please guide me in comforting others with Your compassion and insight, that I may not argue with them in their time of need.  Lord, blessing, not disputing.  Love, not contention.  Grace, not judgment.  Empathy, not doctrinal opinions.  Gentleness, not harshness.   Them, not me.  Your glory, not another's.

No comments:

Post a Comment