Saturday, May 28, 2011

Job 22

Agree with God, and be at peace;
   thereby good will come to you....

And this idea continues with Eliphaz's exhortation.  God has a spectacular plan for your life, if you turn to Him and make peace then good will and a good life will follow.  It's guaranteed...that's how God works.

The thing is, Job is in the middle of God's wonderful plan for his life.  Job is the main event in the spiritual realm - a display of God's splendor.  But Job's situation looks like consequences for wickedness to Eliphaz, the others, and maybe to the rest of the world.  

Imagine if the blessings and "happily-ever-after" life Eliphaz spoke of were the reason Job did come to God.  Wouldn't Job be a bit upset right about now, demanding his money back or recanting his allegiance?  He could reasonably cry out that he did not bargain for this deal.  Maybe, he would turn away from God.

God, of course, knew on whom He was bragging, (which is why I wonder why Satan ever took the bet).  The Lord God Almighty, Perfect in Knowledge, Power and Presence, knew Job.  And Job knew God.  That intimacy allowed Job to comprehend the part of relationship with God which many want to overlook; trusting God no matter the journey.  God is Sovereign.  Job yielded to that fact in the good times and the grief-ridden season of his life. 

I wonder if another jewel pops into one of Job's crowns for the Lord each time someone is captured by his story.  

I wonder how the spiritual audience reacted with each monologue from each player in Job's story.  

I wonder what conversations Job's wife was having during this time.  

I wonder what  Bildad, Eliphaz and Zophar were like after Job prayed for them.

I wonder what I would have said to Job or the Mrs. if I were one of the first arrivals.

"The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be blessed (Job 1:21b)

"Shall we accept good from God and not trouble?" (Job 2:10b)

"I have not denied the words of the Holy One" (Job 6:10c)

"Though He slay me, yet will I wait for and trust Him" (Job 13:15a)

"I have kept to [God's] way without turning aside" (Job 23:11) 

"... my lips will not speak wickedness and my tongue will not utter deceit" (Job 27: 4) 

Lord God, You are the Giver of Grace, You paid the full price for my devoted allegiance, You are Sovereign.  You are worthy of all my trust and patience, may I bless Your name in my life - without fail.  Please help me not turn aside from You nor deny You.  Let me remain content in the waits and the troubles.  Keep my tongue silent if I entertain wicked or deceitful speech.  Help me to remember that if the enemy tries me, he is testing Your reputation.  Let me be faithful to You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment