Thursday, May 5, 2011

Genesis 9

I think I figured out why Noah had favor in God's eyes.  Noah never once  asked, "Are we there, yet?"  He also began the tradition of men not asking for directions as he just floated around and waited to land just where he was supposed to dock.

Then God spoke to Noah and to his sons with him, saying,  "Now behold, I Myself do establish My covenant with you, and with your descendants after you ... I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth.
 "It shall come about, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow will be seen in the cloud, and I will remember My covenant, which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and never again shall the water become a flood to destroy all flesh. "When the bow is in the cloud, then I will look upon it, to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth." 

God does so much.  He does not need a reminder, we do; He puts the rainbow in the sky, in the first place.  He creates the opportunity for remembering and then supplies the promised sign.  I don't often think of His tremendous grace in the display.  I think from now on I will look and remember, too.  He did that just for the scared and frail people like me, so we can rest assured that God remembers and is intent on keeping His promise.  

Another example of His tenderness towards His creation is the He spoke to Noah and his sons.  The Almighty, Sovereign King of the Universe did not have to speak to anyone; but he spoke with Noah and his sons.  The fact that these guys get to hear God speak and He speaks with promise, protection and provision must have been so incredible to them after the years of building and the overall destruction of the world as they knew it.  Our God knows just how to bless a brother or sister.

Thank You Father for Your words of promise and the faithfulness of Your promise-keeping all these years later - You still place the rainbow in the sky and You still withhold the waters.  Why You would care so much in the face of such wickedness amazes me.  Thank You.  Please let me never again regard the rainbow or Your promises in such a matter-of-fact manner.  Help me to delight myself in Your handiwork.  You are Amazing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment