Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Job 5

As for me, I would seek God,
   and to God would I commit my cause,
who does great things and unsearchable,
   marvelous things without number ...
Behold, blessed is the one whom God reproves;
   therefore despise not the discipline of the Almighty. ...
For he wounds, but he binds up; 
   he shatters, but his hands heal. ...
Behold, this we have searched out; 
   it is true.
Hear, and know it for your good.

Job begins his response to Eliphaz by rebuking anger, jealousy and foolishness. 
Job continues with declaring his intention to pursue God, the same God who
allowed all of the trouble Job and his wife are enduring, and to entrust his 
situation to that God.  Job acknowledges blessing comes from God's discipline; 
God wounds and shatters - yet He binds and God's own hands heal. 
Job must have felt very wounded and shattered about that time, nonetheless, 
his assurance is in God and what God does - despite what God had done. 
Job has personal experience in the matter he addresses and can testify to the
veracity of his words.  Job also directs the observer to "know it for your good."

 
 
Oh, my Lord God Almighty, that I immediately would recall Your truths 
and Your faithfulness in all situations.  You do great things which I cannot 
comprehend, things too marvelous for me to know and too vast for me 
to count.  You also discipline and reprove those whom You love. 
Your healing and binding follow the brokenness, Your faithfulness never 
lags or runs out, Your perfection never falters.  You are trustworthy 
in all ways.  You are good and what You do is good.  Let me know it for my good.

No comments:

Post a Comment