Sunday, May 8, 2011

Job 2

The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Then Satan answered the LORD and said, "From roaming about on the earth and walking around on it."

Satan walks around on the earth.  Just like I do.  Is he walking around me?  I need You, Lord .  Please help me to stand firm and not be afraid when the enemy is in my neighborhood.  Rather, teach my hands, heart and spirit in the ways of war that I might be a defense for the place You have given me.  The LORD is a Warrior, the LORD is His Name.

Why did Job's wife escape the destruction?  Was she protected by the two-becoming-one marriage vows that kept Satan from harming Job?  Or was she more useful to Satan's purpose alive?

I hate that her debut on the pages of the meta-narrative are her words to "curse God and die."  I know she was as hurt and as confused about the circumstances as her husband; but those are such harsh words.  She offered no comfort to her husband, nor even a lance.  I hate that they found no comfort in each other.  Had she lived with the blameless man all those years and missed God?

Lord, help me to never be more useful to the enemy than to You.  God, help me to offer compassion and comfort where I can and where I can't, please shut my mouth.  She was the only one who could understand Job's unfathomable situation and she choose cursing.  When I am overwhelmed, please keep me close to You ... When my heart is breaking and I don't understand, please draw me near and fill me with Your comfort.  Help me to never be so gone after this physical world that I turn from You.  Even when my pain fills the landscape of my soul, Lord, You are my God and I will trust in You.  Let me be a light for You rather than a light-switch in the off position in all seasons of life.  I am desperate for You, let me never forget that fact.  You are enough.  Let me never stray from that truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment