Friday, January 27, 2012

Joshua 7

“The Canaanites and the other people of the country will hear about this and they will surround us and wipe out our name from the earth. What then will You do for Your own great Name?” Holy Chutzpah, J-man. Lord, I am not certain what sort of tone Joshy took with You; but I love His passion for “Your own great Name.” Please help me to be more concerned and desperate for You to act for Your own great Name than I am for You to act for me.

…liable for destruction … devoted to destruction. Precious God, purify my mind and motives that I do not entertain anything destined for destruction. YIKES.

He … has done an outrageous thing … ! Holy and Loving Father, Holy Spirit and Messiah-Mine; our culture has a fascination for the outrageous. Please keep me far from the envelop-pushing extremes which addict my societal peers. Only by Your grace am I Yours. I praise Your Name.

I don’t know where Achan thought he or his wife would wear that beautiful Babylonian robe; but why didn’t he see the folly of his ways? Spirit of the Living and Holy God, please keep me from desiring to be clothed in anything but Your gracious provision, let me not want to cover myself in riches from a place which You condemn or to take that which You have directed away from me. Let me never believe this world offers me something better than what obedience to You brings. Let me always see the ridiculousness of my sin – especially before I act. Thank You.

One man sinned, all Israel suffered. (Reminds me that through one man’s sin, death and condemnation came to the world.) One man’s bad choice yielded a bad reputation for the entire nation. As it was, so it is: Help me, Holy Spirit, to behave, choose, live, respond in a manner worthy of the faith, Your Name, Your reputation. Lord Jesus, the world hates You and needs no excuse to attack; please let me give it no real ammo. May the words of my mouth, the meditations of my heart and the interactions of my life be pleasing and acceptable to You, O God, my Strength and my Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment