Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Deuteronomy 9

You know about them and have heard it said: “Who can stand up against the Anakites?” But be assured today that the LORD your God is the one who goes across ahead of you like a devouring fire. He will destroy them; he will subdue them before you.

Thank You Lord, that You allow the Anakite in my life and that You defeat the Anakite.  Please help me to focus on Your known reputation and relationship with me rather than the myth of the Anakite who hates me.  Help me to walk in confident victory with You rather than cower in fear behind You.  To You belongs all the glory and awe, not the rebellious Anakite.

Understand, then, that it is not because of your righteousness that the LORD your God is giving you this good land to possess, for you are a stiff-necked people.

 Please increase my understanding of who I am and change me to increasingly reflect You.  Lord, help my stiff-neck and rebellious spirit be used against sin and not for  it.  

So I turned and went down from the mountain while it was ablaze with fire. ... When I looked, I saw that you had sinned against the LORD your God; you had made for yourselves an idol ...

Lord, help me to never turn from You (to an idol), especially while You are still working in my presence.  Grant me vision of the Holy, the Divine, Your Ever-Present Blaze of Glory.  Help me to remember that I was made for You and nothing less and nothing else.  No compromise.

But you rebelled against the command of the LORD your God. You did not trust him or obey him.

Help me, oh God, to realize that "mild" rebellion is distrust, unbelief and disobedience.  Please give me  such a distaste for rebellious quests and thoughts that I get sick if I entertain them for any time.  Make the physical connection that You may break the spiritual inclination.

When I went up on the mountain to receive the tablets of stone, the tablets of the covenant that the LORD had made with you, I stayed on the mountain forty days and forty nights; I ate no bread and drank no water. ... You had turned aside quickly from the way that the LORD had commanded you.   So I took the two tablets and threw them out of my hands, breaking them to pieces before your eyes. Then once again I fell prostrate before the LORD for forty days and forty nights; I ate no bread and drank no water, because of all the sin you had committed, doing what was evil in the LORD’s sight and so arousing his anger.

Father, grant me such an appetite for You that I live consistently in response to the simple truth that You are enough for me, even to the exclusion of bread and water.  Teach me the ways of the intercessor impassioned by intimacy with You, cultivate in me a heart for holiness and the tenacity to persevere in worship- prayer for Your will, for Your glory and for others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment