Monday, January 9, 2012

Deuteronomy 17-18

Now it shall come about when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, he shall write for himself a copy of this law on a scroll in the presence of the Levitical priests.  It shall be with him and he shall read it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, by carefully observing all the words of this law and these statutes, that his heart may not be lifted up above his countrymen and that he may not turn aside from the commandment, to the right or the left, so that he and his sons may continue long in his kingdom in the midst of Israel.

 God's word shall be with the leader, he shall read it everyday in order that he would learn to fear the LORD his God through conscientious and honoring obedience so pride will not carry him into disobedience at the cost of the people and his legacy.

God, could I please have a leader like that?  Holy Spirit, teach me, condition me, train me in these ways.  Keep me from pride and presumption.

They shall have no inheritance among their countrymen; the LORD is their inheritance, as He promised them.

 Father God, You are my inheritance, too.  Grant me soul- and spirit-deep satisfaction with that fact so my flirtations with the things of this world would stop.  Let my passions reflect Your priorities, cultivate a pursuit of the true and holy in me; may I be so consumed with You that my life is known for delayed gratification (did I really just pray that?) waiting for the promises You have give and will deliver.  I need Your wisdom and restraint, I need to focus increasingly on You, I need obedience in every, every choice.  Every decision.  Grant me the consistent comprehension that it all matters.  Holy Spirit, when I am choosing poorly, overrule me and help me to remember that it is Your plan I desire - even when my flesh cries out, my heart wobbles in confusion and my mind is deceived or leaning towards passivity.  I. CHOOSE. YAHWEH.

The man who acts presumptuously by not listening to the priest who stands there to serve the LORD your God, nor to the judge, that man shall die; thus you shall purge the evil from Israel.  Then all the people will hear and be afraid, and will not act presumptuously again. ... When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

Presumption.  Perturbation and apprehension.  Purge evil.  

Lord God, please keep me from being, thinking, responding presumptively.  I want to always have a teachable heart and a soul yielded to You.  Holiest of Spirits, inform every aspect of my spirit, soul, mind and strength that I would be a faithful steward for You and Your Fame.  May I only be audacious for You, may any swagger come from the cross and not of me.  And may love cover it all, to the praise of Your very great and eternal Name.  You have not given me a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear - so I need not be afraid or timid; but You have given me a Spirit of adoption as a daughter, by whom I cry, "Abba, Father."  Purge evil, purge fear.  Help me to promote the Spirit of Adoption.

No comments:

Post a Comment