Thursday, March 10, 2011

Titus 2 God's Grace and Zombies

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds. 

Zombieland is a movie where zombies, who are the majority of the population, are intent on devouring the remainder of the non-zombie population...creating more zombies.   A small group of people - non-zombies - attempt to live in the post-apocalyptic USA, a.k.a. Zombieland, without becoming zombies themselves.  As the story unfolds, the individual non-zombies come together and form an alliance. 

As I read the passage from Titus 2 this morning, I was reminded of the movie.  Kind of weird and fun, I know; but my God defines creative, (rule number 32: enjoy the little things).  

The picture the Lord drew for me was the world at large is the land of the zombies; most folks out there are the walking dead, seeking only to satisfy their own appetites as they go along, not considering the big picture of eternity...just the momentary need or pleasure.

In zombie-ology, redemption is not available for those gone dead; but God has brought salvation to all men.  The problem is not all have received the gracious gift.  Until a person receives that God-designed gift of salvation, he/she is like a zombie, an animated corpse who doesn't realize that real life is not what he/she is experiencing.  Christ's redemptive act purifies, sanctifies, heals the people for Himself bestowing life on the formerly dead.

To exacerbate the zombie-dilemma, the "living" must escape from the zombies for fear of being consumed by that culture.  In reality, believers often shun the spiritual zombies.  The living believers have no such concern of conversion; but they still seem to prefer their own groupings rather than embrace the spiritually dead.

For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people.  "What am I doing with it?" is the question that hits me. 

Father, what a tremendous visual parable for me of the world...of me a few years ago.  Help me not run from the individuals in this world and take Your grace with me.  God, I often do want to be quiet and blend in because I anticipate the reaction of those that don't have the spiritual view You have given me.  Help me to remember that one less zombie is one more Kingdom resident, one more servant for the Most High King...and that is my mission.  Help me to go, therefore, and reduce the zombie population by sharing the grace You have shared with me.  Find me useful in the recruitment of the walking dead and training of former zombies for the advancement of Your Kingdom.  To the praise of Your very great Name.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment