Wednesday, March 16, 2011

2 Timothy 1

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. 

Timothy received a gift from God...a spiritual gift from the laying on of Paul's hands.  Timmy needs encouragement to "fan into flame" that God-gift so he may use and exercise it to God's glory.  Timmy is exhorted, too, that he has been equipped with power, love and self-control.  Fear is not part of the gifting from God.  I understand this to say that Tim is fearful about using his spiritual gift, even to the point of ignoring it.  

I  have been gifted with mercy, though I am uncertain how to operate the gift.  It seems to have been delivered in the "on" position - and there is not "off" switch - I have searched!  As a result of not being able to control or understand my present,  I find myself a bit fearful in operating the mercy gift ... The gift is a very wet gift - lots of tears, with not a few aches - heartaches, that is.  God has been so instructive, of late, in that He has pointed out others with the mercy-load and allowed me to peek at their lifestyles.  

I am still not certain the usefulness of the gift; but I KNOW that it is useful and important as the Designer of the Universe would not make an inconsequential gift.  I look forward to His further instruction and my comprehending how to best implement the blessing of mercy.  I take these words to Timmy very personally...I am done being timid...at least for today.


No comments:

Post a Comment