Sunday, March 20, 2011

2 Timothy 4

... preach the word ... reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction ... be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. 

Paul's words to Timothy do not include "enjoy yourself" or any prayers for comfort.  Timothy is charged with serious work, apparently in the face of serious opposition.  He is told to do the work, fulfill the assignment, preach God's word, rebuke, reprove....  Pretty terse instructions for the very beloved spiritual son of Paul.  

When do I pray for sobriety in all things, to do my work, to satisfy my calling?
I find I am much more comfort-oriented in my prayers for others and myself.  What a wimp, (a weak, ineffectual, meager-faithed, pusillanimous person).  Spiritual pansy.  Why do I think the life given to me from the full-life sacrifice of my precious Jesus should be a funtivity?  It sure wasn't for Him.  Why am I so quick to pray away the hardship, the opposition and the work rather than enduring, persevering and fulfilling?  

God, You are worthy of me enduring, persevering, sweating for You and Your Kingdom.  You are worth my fulfilling my ministry.  I confess I want my Christian walk to be "constantaneously" like Christ's life; but I know that is not right.  Please help me to be strong and courageous; to stand firm and not be afraid; to fight the good fight of faith; to press in to You for Your glory's sake and my sanctification's sake.  I thank You that You don't just wad me up and throw me away.  I thank You that being sober in all things doesn't mean that I can't laugh and enjoy the life You have provided for me.  I thank You that You have given me a calling to be Your daughter and for the work You have custom-designed me to do.  Please continue to draw me to You so I may fulfill my ministry, I may perform my work and I may love You the way I was created to love.  You are my Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment