Friday, March 18, 2011

2 Timothy 3

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Scripture is profitable  ...  I wondered if the word profitable might mean beneficial or instructive.  I went to the Greek in hopes of discovering a more precise definition and found that it is the word ophelimos, which means profitable.  Paul uses it previously to Timothy regarding godliness being profitable for all things and to Titus and all believers to engage in good deeds as they are profitable to all men.

So, God's Scripture is profitable, gainful, advantageous, helpful, good for teaching, reproofing, correcting, training in righteousness yielding an equipped and competent believer.  

My question is am I employing God's Word for the profit, gain, advantage and good of those in my life and me?

Since it is help for teaching, why do I not base what I learn and teach, everything on the Word?  

This eternal source of life, truth and wisdom will rebuke if I submit myself to its correction.  Do I apply myself to be reproofed, corrected and trained in righteousness; or do I prefer to read it to see what new thing I can learn?  

God, I confess I know what Your Word can do - You promise and You keep Your promises - and yet, I regularly fail to sit before You asking You to reproof me, to correct me.  God, I recognize if I want to be trained in righteousness, I must yield to the full intent of Your Word.  Help me to seek the complete purpose of Your Scriptures and not just the feel good, help me through this hardship, learn a new thing propensity that I have.  I long to be a humble woman of Your Word and not a spiritual flibbertigibbet.  Thank You for Your very great promises and Your very great faithfulness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment