Wednesday, October 24, 2012

1 Kings 19

Holy Spirit, please help me to pray diligently for my pastor and leaders the day after services; please help me to remember the exhaustion and vulnerability which can greet them after pouring out in service and worship to You. Please help me to remember that I, too, may be more prone to emotional responses after the music dies down, beyond the last words, when the door closes on the service offered with holy hands. May the spiritual, the sacred and divine inform and inspire the temporal. All this to the praise of Your very great Name.

Suddenly a voice came to him, and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

Lord, I think I would have answered, “I have no idea.” But he was still very responsive to Jezebel’s threat. He was still believing that she had power over You, her verbal aggression could harm him. Help me to see the mercies in the bad news and disturbing circumstances – like how the messenger found him and not a mercenary. Help me to first turn to You for strength, perspective, direction. Let me not run away and then go a day farther into the wilderness in response to someone’s words. Only You should and must have that influence over me. And, Holy Spirit, please tell me what I am doing here. Lord Jesus, I want to follow Your way and derive my purpose solely from what the Father says – help me to walk in that way, worthy of the “why” and faithful to the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment