Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Judges 9

Thus God returned the evil of Abimelech, which he committed against his father in killing his seventy brothers. And God also made all the evil of the men of Shechem return on their heads, and upon them came the curse of Jotham the son of Jerubbaal.

God knew the evil perpetuated by Abimelech. He allowed Jotham to speak the curse and leave. God then allowed the curse to come upon the men. God does accomplish His work. He gives us the privilege of participating; but He needs us not. I am encouraged that Jotham spoke out and left it. He didn’t try to manipulate it, (perhaps he was afraid – but he still did not mess with the situation to accomplish the curse).

I am faced with saying some hard things and waiting on God to know how to say them. I am encouraged by God’s faithfulness in doing His work while using a little, insignificant servant to speak His words.

O, my God, please help me hallow You in what You allow. Show me Your way, the way everlasting. May I respond according to Your words and purpose, even though I don’t know how to begin. I pray that You would reveal the deceptions of the enemy; that You would shatter the lies which accommodate the evil; that You would stir up holy unrest in Your people that they, individually and corporately, would resist passivity or complacency in regard to Your call. That Your people, who are called by Your Name would simply obey. Give us eyes to see even the smallest areas (no small area of disobedience to You) of rebellion and make us miserable until we choose repentance.

No comments:

Post a Comment