Thursday, February 23, 2012

Judges 10

And they forsook the LORD and did not serve him.

The Israelites served other gods and then they served the people of those gods.
What am I entertaining in my mind – giving service to in my thoughts or my time – which is idolatrous? Not necessarily a tangible thing like a little golden figure; but something which gets more of my time, my heart, my thoughts, my preoccupation, my tears. Is it a problem which has landed at my feet? A scenario in which I find myself; but can do nothing but pray and wait? Am I more caught up in the thing than the God who sits enthroned forever and forever over all matters?

After the forsaking came the oppression. The children of God became the slaves of the gods’ people.

God, I am so sorry, I am wanting to focus on the thing rather on You. Truth is – and You know it – I just don’t know what to do, say or even how to pray. Help me not pay more attention with my mind, my emotions and my spiritual energy to the circumstances than I do to You – You, the One who allowed these situations to occur. I do not want to be guilty of forsaking You by serving a lesser god. Lord help me to navigate life, and certainly today, in a way which serves You. I do not want to be tricked into being a slave to any one, thing or situation. Thank You for Your word/warning on how a situation can be come an idol. Thank You for Your grace in showing me what a slippery slope forsaking can be. Please be glorified in me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment