Friday, February 25, 2011

Philippians 4

Just before Paul's final note, we learn of two ladies who evidently are embroiled in a big disagreement.  This situation is sufficiently out of control as Paul addresses it from where he sits by letter.  Paul implores them to settle the argument.  

Additionally Paul says to be full of joy, be considerate and pray about everything that they may experience the peace of God and the protection His peace brings.  God's peace in the heart and mind.  Is this the path to reconciliation? To righteous living?

...one final thing: Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing.

Paul's living, working, serving, persecuted, interactive model was one that he, himself, could put up for example for all to follow.  Indeed, we are still learning from his life.

  • Why can't I throw myself up as a similar example? Do I know one who could be that example?
  • How is it that I teach and give things other than what should be done?
The words preceding Paul's directive -are they the key to being a consistent model?  Is this the answer to the problem the Philippians experienced?  To my problem?  

My thoughts are not always on the true, the honoring, the right, the pure, the lovely, the admirable, the excellent and the praiseworthy...and when that occurs - like a pollution released into the environment - the mind is corrupted, the thought process is messed up and the actions yielded from that scenario are less than glorious...sinful, even.


I know this is not "think good thoughts and good will happen," (definitely not a karma statement); but as I think on those things...I realize again that God defines those things.  He is each of those qualities.  As I think on God and His attributes, I am able to properly frame whatever situation that comes to mind.  I am freed to be full of joy and to be considerate as I pray about all things.  I receive God's peace as I go to Him with the great news and the horrible.  Only God can filter and frame life so that peace is tangible, as only God, the Maker of Heaven and Earth, has the true perspective.


I praise You Lord of All that You again show me You are the Answer.  You are All I need.  My All in All.  Grow me in experiencing You infusing every circumstance, every thought, passion, imagining...every experience I have.  I do want to be that exceedingly good example and not a terrible warning for Your Great Name.  Teach me faithfulness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment