Thursday, February 24, 2011

Philippians 3

But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead... 

According to Paul's pedigree, he made the corps d'elite list of favorites and was a member of the Jewish illuminati.  He had religious cred, purity cred, street cred, law keeping cred; he had cred all over the place.  He was Super-Hebrew.  God shows no favoritism...He made you what you are.

Paul also was one of the most vehement, enthusiastic, successful and rabid enemies of the the Way.  God shows no partiality...even against His enemies.

Paul's encounter with the Lord Jesus Christ radically reorganized his life in terms of his priorities and pursuits.  He became just as dedicated to Christ as he had been to annihilating His Name previously.  Paul suffered greatly, served unfailingly and loved His Savior faithfully in his life and with his pen.  God's scales don't swing out of balance based on performance.  God does not have preference ratings.  He doesn't just click with some and not so much with others.

Paul could brag or he could cringe, he could become pompous in pride or become paralyzed in self-reproach.  But he chooses to forget what lies behind and presses onward towards the upward call of Christ.


Paul lived in response to his relationship with God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.  Paul did not get hung up or puffed up on his past; he merely pushed on.

Why do I get overwhelmed with some details to the point of being still and knowing, not that God is God, but that I can't do anything well or right - and then procrastinating about the work at hand? 


Why do I fall into the Slough of Despond (Pilgrim's Progress/Bunyan) when I am reminded of what God has seen me through - as if He will only do that one thing, ever - rather than dwelling on how God has worked so mightily in my and others situations?


Why do I focus on the events and not the relationship, the stuff and not the God, my (lack of) credibility and not His impeccable and perfect Name?


God, I need You.  Help me to live the "realationship" You have created me for and not be sucked into the sewer of living in the past...limited, defined and empowered by all the woulda, shoulda, coulda beens.  You are perfect.  You are never compromised by me.  Liberty, Father, liberty.  Help me to delight in making You famous...being Your poster girl.  Let me forget what is behind and press onward toward Your upward and gracious call.  Lord, let Your sweet amnesia free me for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment