Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hebrews 6

...we who have fled [to Him] for refuge might have mighty indwelling strength and strong encouragement to grasp and hold fast the hope appointed for us and set before [us].    [Now] we have this [hope] as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul [it cannot slip and it cannot break down under whoever steps out upon it--a hope] that reaches farther and enters into [the very certainty of the Presence] within the veil,

The hope is to be grasped and clung to; it was appointed for us to have the hope and that hope is an anchor of our souls.  He encourages me with strong words and support and indwells me in power to hold fast the hope He made me for.  That hope is to be held for dear life as it is an anchor of my very soul.  

An anchor is a tool used to stop the movement and stay the drift of a boat.  To keep the boat in one spot.  It roots us...for a purpose. 


Am I rooted or slowly drifting?  If the anchor is not securely placed, the boat will follow the current and end up in trouble.  How am I ensuring there is no current drift happening in my life?   How tightly am I clinging to the Anchor of my Soul?

 When the ground soaks up the falling rain and bears a good crop for the farmer, it has God’s blessing.  But if a field bears thorns and thistles, it is useless. The farmer will soon condemn that field and burn it.
  
The fruitful field is  called blessed.  The land which is named useless, which means that which does not prove itself such as it ought or not standing the test, is close to being cursed and burnt.  The produce of the field will be destroyed...the thorns and thistles will be consumed.  But after the fire, it is still the farmer's field.  It is not a parking lot nor a strip mall.  It is still a field - albeit a scorched and reduced field.  This reminds me of the wildfires which have burned many forests and fields in our area to the ground.  As we drive by them a few months later, I am always surprised and blessed to see the new life coming from the ashes.

As I considered the difficult-for-me to understand passages which preceded this verse, I am encouraged by this example the Holy Spirit gives, almost in punctuation of the prior words.  

No comments:

Post a Comment