Friday, February 18, 2011

Ephesians 3

Briefly can I just put out there that verses 1-6  encourage me to pieces in that Paul starts with one point and takes a tangent off that point to enrich and explain something before he returns to the original point in verse 7.  This is perhaps the first place in which I can identify with the apostle...he takes an exit from his conversation highway and then gets back on the highway a few sentences later.  I do that, too.  I am so blessed!  (I also recognize that his exits are for excellence and mine often seem random; but stylistically, the same.)

The second blessing, which I can hardly process and feel very inaccurate in terming it just a blessing, I received from these words comes later in the chapter - verses 14 and following.  Paul gets down on his knees before his God that ... according to the riches of His glory He may grant you 

~to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in your inner being
~that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith
~that you may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the
               breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love 
               of Christ that surpasses knowledge 
~that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

Those acts of grace are amazing, mind-blowing blessings - and we have those available to us.  Thanks to God who, through Paul, teaches us to seek these qualities and gifts. 

Invigoration and revitalization, be made forceful and heartened through the Holy Spirit's power to my spirit - going from life support to life supply by His Spirit.

Can you imagine that it takes strength to comprehend the multi-dimensional aspects of God's love?  His love blows away knowledge.

I could have Christ abide, inhabit, attend, establish Himself in my heart not just sit in a corner or be treated poorly by the unjust landlord (me).

I don't even understand being filled with ALL the fullness of God; but now that Paul mentions it, I sure do want it.  I have this (wrong) picture of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory's Violet Beauregarde after she chews the gum...she is blowing up like a blueberry balloon...that in holiness and grace and faith and love and peace and ... I could spiritually expand like that - with all the fullness of God.  

Okay, so the Sovereign King of the Universe wants us to know about such fantastic and prodigious things...He makes them accessible to us.  He does not hoard His treasures.  He teaches us how to ask for them...to name them. 

Paul asks for those incredible qualities to be distributed among the faithful; then he says, "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us..."  We can't even ask or think about what all God can do...as all we can request or dream up in the massively imaginative collection of our minds doesn't even begin to touch the shadow of the history of His very great reputation...far more abundantly than all the fullness of God.  (i don't get it...but i am feeling very small - in a good way)

We serve an mind-blowing God, a God who is Indescribable, Undiminished, Incomprehensible...and makes available to us the fullness of all the fullness of Himself.  


Father, how great you are.  Thank You for letting me in Your family.  Strengthen me to receive what You have for me.  To the praise of Your exceedingly great Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment