Sunday, December 18, 2011

Luke 1:46-56

Oh, how my soul praises the Lord.
  How my spirit rejoices in God my Savior!
For he took notice of his lowly servant girl,
  and from now on all generations will call me blessed.
For the Mighty One is holy,
  and he has done great things for me.

The Lord has done great things FOR me; rejoice-worthy and praising-yielding great things.  Not to me, not for Israel, not for mankind, not He has done great things and that's it.  What the Mighty One did in greatness, He did for Mary.  What faith, expectation and conviction she displays.  

The fact she chooses at this opportunity to remind herself (and me) that the Lord God is holy intrigues me, further.  She had the complete list of attributes from which to select; but she lands on holy - tying the great things He has done into His holiness.  And, now, she brings the Holy with her.  I may have focused on His power, promises, provision, patience, faithfulness, wisdom, sovereignty, ...  Anything really, but would I have landed on the holy?  I don't think so.

Oh my Mighty One, Holy and All-Wise Lord God, I praise You for Your choice in that lowly servant girl who was the perfect mom for my Messiah.  What a stunning example she sets for me in her humility, her faith, her knowledge of the holy.  Lord, I thank You that You have done great things for me, too.  Help my soul and my spirit to join the eternal chorus of rejoicing and praising You.  Teach me holy, that I may more fully participate in knowing You in that way.  Thank You.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment