Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Genesis 49

The words spoken to the brothers were based often on what their lives had been like - what they had done.  So, consequences were spoken out, divinely.  Some of the pronouncements were truly prophetic and not related to prior action.  I guess the thing that speaks to me is that if I want a better blessing, a brighter future, I need to be more obedient in the present.  I can't change the past, nor can I change what God had ordained for me; but I can comply, humbly and intentionally in the dailyness of my life.  

Because you went up to your father’s bed; 
Then you defiled it—he went up to my couch.

Also, in the case of Reuben, that last line spoken of him still rings with the hurt,  betrayal and disbelief of his father.  This challenges me to be very careful with the what I can do, what I must do and what I should do choices in my life.  

Lord, please help me to live a life pleasing to You all the days of my life.  Keep me from any willful sin, any wasteful ways and any wanton preoccupations.  May my spiritual, emotional, academic, familial and physical (and etc.) life bring You glory and pleasure.  I pray that where I have acted in rebellion and with intent to harm another that You would divinely release them from the pain and hurt of that wrong.  Guide me to apologize and make every effort to right any situation which You wish me to address.  I thank You for Your amazing gift of forgiveness and pray that I may do so to those who have caused me harm ... even if the act is presently being perpetrated or is yet to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment