Sunday, April 15, 2012

2 Samuel 6

... she saw King David leaping and dancing before the LORD ...  When David returned home to bless his household, Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet him and said, "How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today" ... David said to Michal, “It was before the LORD, ... I will celebrate before the LORD."

David, the long-awaited king, hand-picked by the Sovereign of the Universe, was undignified before the LORD, nevermind the others, and he celebrated fully abandoned before his God.  He concluded the festivities and went home to bless his household.  Michal meets him and berates him for his actions. 

It's the tension in this marriage that gives me pause.  He has just worshiped the LORD with his whole heart (and I imagine he was wild in his devotion to God - would love to see what that looked like - Lord, grant me a heart and the ability to respond as David did to You) and is probably on a spiritual high.  His intention is to bless his home and the people when he returns.  He worships and is inclined to bless generously.

 Wifey failed to accompany him on the worship trip and now she mockingly scolds him for his passion for God.  Wonder why she stayed home.  Wonder why she didn't wish to celebrate God, too.  Wonder why she didn't understand his zeal for God, her God.  I am ever more appreciative of my husband, who does not worship like me; but he does not give me a failing grade for my interactions and estimation of our God. 

Thank You Lord, for the equal yoking You have provided for me.  I appreciate Your wisdom in this guideline for marriage.  I am grateful, too, to see that true worship yields blessing and grace to the home.  It may take away from the time with the family unit; but it does not cheat the individuals of anything.  Holy Spirit, please grant me the words and discernment to encourage the individual worship styles of those in whom I invest.  May I direct them to You, always, and not deter them.  Let me not tolerate or passively endorse anything which would detract or discourage another from a full-on encounter and hearty response to You.  We all want to dance like David did - please allow us to not be deceived into thinking that worship must fit our prescribed pattern or dull description.  Help me to encourage and support my husband to fulfill God's design for his life.  May You be praised in my little life and may the choices I make bring You much glory.  

And Michal daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death.  

Lord, did her spiritual barrenness (her choice) yield her physical infertility?  Lord, keep me from bad choices, faithless verdicts and spiritless selections.  Even when a thing is foreign to my perspective, if it is of You, I want the scope of vision and imagination to be able to embrace it.  Only by Your hand, Your Spirit and Your power.  

No comments:

Post a Comment