Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Romans 6

Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it?...We know that our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin. For when we died with Christ we were set free from the power of sin...you also should consider yourselves to be dead to the power of sin...Do not let sin control the way you live; do not give in to sinful desires.  Do not let any part of your body become an instrument of evil to serve sin...Sin is no longer your master...Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law, does that mean we can go on sinning? Of course not!

Sin.  Breaking God's law.  How about...the thing that you do or I do that we know we aren't supposed to do...the thing that we are ashamed of...or find we are always apologizing for...or  really wished we could control...deep down, we really know what/how that blank can be filled in.  Maybe temper, maybe appetites, maybe pastimes, maybe relationships, maybe words...So let's try it again...

Since I (as a believer and follower of Christ Jesus) have died to insecurity, how can I continue to live in it?...I know that my old insecure self was crucified with Christ so that insecurity might lose its power in my life. I am no longer slave to insecurity. For when I died with Christ I was set free from the power of insecurity...I also should consider myself  to be dead to the power of insecurity...Do not let insecurity control the way I live; do not give in to insecure desires.  Do not let any part of my body become an instrument of evil to serve insecurity...Insecurity is no longer my master...Well then, since God’s grace has set me free from the law, does that mean I can go on being insecure? Of course not! ... the paycheck of insecurity is death.

Holy Spirit, please help me to not behave as a slave to insecurity, impatience, ingratitude, pride, doubt and the others sinful desires from which You set me free.  I know I am not subject to them; but find that I am allowing any one of them the power to control the way I live for a while.  God, I only want You to inform my thoughts, my behavior, my interactions, my reactions.  I only want You.  

Sweet Jesus, thank You so very much for the freedom You have given me.  Thank You for Your extreme payment on my behalf...Please help me live in response to Your very great love for me.  Please keep me from trying to collect any benefits from the enslaver of my soul who only desires defrauding, death and destruction to me and my relationships.  Help me live under the freedom of Your grace and to be Your slave...a slave to obedience and righteousness.  God, Your grace is sufficient for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment