Saturday, January 15, 2011

Romans 11

...if the root is holy, the branches are too.  But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree, do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. 

When a branch is grafted from one tree to another, the branch still delivers the fruit from its original tree.  That is how we get our citrus, grafting a branch from a key lime tree onto a rootstock citrus.  Somehow, the branch retains what it was made to do and still grows to produce its "designed" fruit...the changes are from where the branch gets its nutrition and where it is planted, (so the "orientation" would change as well).  

The Word says if the root is holy so then is the branch...and the fruit by extension.  And the root is what supports the branch.  I am spiritually stimulated to consider that picture.  I wish I could draw the visual I have in my head.  Christ is the Holy Root, the body of believers form the branches of His tree, and I am a little branch grafted somewhere in the midst of the glorious fullness of the Tree.  I used to be part of a wild (disobedient and unholy) tree; but I was chosen to be cut off from that tree.  I was grafted (cutting the trunk of the tree - which is a whole 'nother line to follow) into the One of the Holy Root.  I now am part of that tree.  My sustenance comes from the root and sap, my uniqueness continues to be unique but I blend in with the whole tree.  My fruit will still be what I was created for; only now it comes from holiness.  The growth I experience is from holiness, the strength I display is from holiness.  I am still me; but holy.  I could not make myself holy as I am not the root nor did I have access to the root apart from the loving Gardener.  I am now joined with the tree of life.  The nature of my being and subsequently of my fruit has been changed to that of holiness as a result of the grafting.

Even if I had grown in the shade of the Holy Tree, I would not have been holy.  Proximity is not the same as abiding.  The only way to abide is to first be grafted.

God, please help me to abide in Your holiness...to live and grow and blossom in Your provision.  Let me not complain about my position on the Tree nor that I am not facing the direction I prefer.  You have designed me to bear fruit...let me bear the best and most delicious fruit possible for me.  Thank You Holy Gardener for Your tender and very personal attention to my branch-self.  Help me submit gratefully to Your pruning and tying, as I will be more hearty and secure while growing more abundantly when You direct my growth and remove the diseased parts.  And when You loose me, I am stronger and healthier than before.   Please keep me from trying to take root all by myself.  I know that I belong to You.  All of this is to the praise of Your very great Name and the spread of Your Tree.

1 comment: