Monday, November 5, 2012

2 Kings 9

When Jehu went out to his fellow officers, one of them asked him, “Is everything all right? Why did this maniac come to you?” ... Jehu said, “Here is what he told me: ‘This is what the Lord says: I anoint you king over Israel.’”  They quickly took their cloaks and spread them under him on the bare steps. Then they blew the trumpet and shouted, “Jehu is king!”

Lord God, they called Your man a maniac and then believed exactly what You said through him.  I am not sure how to pray about the name-calling ... but you do call Your people to be distinctive and different from the world, so may I also live a life which fosters that same reputation - uniquely Yours and faithful to Your commands, known to be true to You and not swayed by man's verdicts,   obedient and well-used by You.  I know it made no difference to the verity of the situation; but how they responded to the words displayed their belief.  The name-calling was rebooted by their reaction.  Your Word weighs that much, no matter how or from whom it is delivered.  Father, help me to treat Your Word with deliberate reverence, to believe with cloak-spreading conviction and words to match and to walk in the authority You provide me through Your grace and adoption.  You created the heavens and the earth, You set up kings and You depose them, You are God in Heaven and here am I on earth:   Let my words be few - that Your Words may echo, thundering throughout this dusty timeline and into eternity demonstrating Your majesty, Your omniscience, Your omnipotence, Your love and Your ever-loving, everlasting, ever-wondrous Name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment