Saturday, November 13, 2010

James 3

Verses 1-12 challenge me with the power of the tongue and the effect of speaking.  And it is not just the spoken word for us in this day; we have other means of communicating with words and these admonitions address that for me.  When I can text or email as easily as I can use my tongue, through the wisdom that comes from above I must be very careful to not set on fire the course of my life or my day with any wrong word usage. Body language and sign language are also potent tools for communicating love and acceptance, hatred and disgrace.  Grace and constancy through my God.  Word and deed as evidence of my relationship with Yahweh.
16For wherever there is jealousy (envy) and contention (rivalry and selfish ambition), there will also be confusion (unrest, disharmony, rebellion) and all sorts of evil and vile practices.

Disorder is an indicator of  jealousy and selfish ambition (which in themselves are evil and vile practices).  When I am in the midst of chaos, I should seek, with the Father's wisdom to align myself with His way...desiring to make His Name famous in my life rather than my own (or my own preference).

Lord God, I am seeing with increasing clarity that if my actions, words, communications and lifestyle don't match my faith-confession then maybe the confession is not valid.  My life is my confession.  Let me not emulate the ancient Greek philosophers who thought it was enough to think a thing without troubling themselves to do the thing.  Let my life speak the faith I inwardly claim.  Let my life sing Your praise and worship Your Majesty in the constancy only a dailyness and yieldedness Your Presence can supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment